Wakatipu Youth Trust Objectives
The programmes and events that we are involved in throughout the year are defined and guided by the objectives from the WYT deed, which are as follows:
- To enable young people to achieve positive outcomes for themselves by providing support & advocacy
- To promote change in social structure and community attitudes that impact positively on young people
- To promote improvements in the mental, physical, physiological or cultural well-being of young people
- To provide a safe & supportive environment and resources for individuals, particularly young people, to discover their true identity and develop caring authentic relationships that enhance their spiritual & emotional well-being
- To provide such assistance primarily, but not exclusively in the Wakatipu area
Wakatipu Youth Trust Aim
We provide resources, opportunities, skilled people and safe environments, which help to foster confidence and challenge youth. By resourcing youth in this way, we believe they discover their true identity and develop strengths, attitudes and strong relationships, which enable them to contribute positively in our communities
Youth Development Strategy Aotearoa
All work for the Trust is underpinned by the principles of the Youth Development Strategy Aotearoa 2002 and the Code of Ethics for Youth Work in Aotearoa New Zealand 2011.
The 6 principles of youth development will provide the basis for all work with young people:
- Youth development is shaped by the ‘big picture’.
- Youth development is about young people being connected.
- Youth development is based on a consistent strengths-based approach.
- Youth development happens through quality relationships.
- Youth development is triggered when young people fully participate.
- Youth development needs good information